Stockton Gurdwara Sahib (Pacific Coast Khalsa Diwan Society)
Welcome to the official website of Gurdwara Sahib Stockton. The Stockton Gurdwara Sahib, California, USA holds great historical significance for the Sikh Community. It is the first Gurdwara Sahib that was built to serve the Sikh Sangat living in the whole of United States of America (USA). The Gurdwara Sahib come into existence in 1912 with joint efforts of Baba Vasakha Singh and Baba Jawala Singh ji. A meeting was held in Holt, a town near Stockton where a committee was appointed to raise money for the construction of the Gurdwara.
It was in September of 1912 when land was purchased on South Grant Street in Stockton for the use of the Gurdwara. A small farm house that was already standing on the lot was used as the main building of the Gurdwara. This building still stands where a library is now implemented. A Nishan Sahib was also hoisted for the first time at the Gurdwara in 1912. Baba Vasakha Singh and Baba Jawala Singh Thanthian of Sri Amritsar Sahib were appointed as the first Granth Singh jis of the Gurdwara.
Sikh immigrants have resided in California for more than a century, with the first Sikh immigrants believed to have labored on railroad construction projects, in lumber mills, and in the agricultural heartlands of the Sacramento, San Joaquin, and Imperial Valleys.
Later in 1929, a second building was added in the Gurdwara complex.